Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Another WIPpet Wednesday

I thought for this WIPpet Wednesday 27th February I would post the next 27 lines on from my last WIPpet Wednesday entry.  I don't have 27 chapters yet; I'm only onto chapter 4!  My story so far is about a woman who's just split up from her boyfriend who cheated on her.  She's feeling insecure and emotionally raw.  So here's the next 27 lines:

        She’d been so determined not to think of him at all, but now here he was intruding into her thoughts again.
‘You’re thinking about him again, aren’t you?’ Melissa’s voice brought her back from the brink.
‘Only a little,’ Anna said unable to keep her voice from trembling.  She flopped down into the comfort of the sofa, trying to swallow the lump in her throat.  Melissa sat down next to her.
        ‘That man is such an arse,’ she said.  ‘I mean really, Anna, I’d never known such an idiot until I met your man.  Hats off to you for picking a corker there!’
         Anna felt the lump lessen a little.  She smiled.  ‘You’re right of course.  He is an arse.’
        ‘Took you long enough to realise it.’
         Anna gave Melissa a playful punch.  ‘I suppose I was refusing to admit what he was really like because I wanted to believe that he was something else.’
       ‘Well you can’t say I didn’t warn you.’
       ‘Yeah, yeah all right.’
       ‘Hey, I’m only saying.’
       ‘I know, I know.’  Anna turned to face her friend.  ‘It’s just going to take me time to get over what he did and what happened.  I know what he’s like, I see that now but we did have some good times and I was convinced – he convinced me – that he loved me.  It will take me a while to get my head around the fact that he didn’t love me, or at least not enough.’
       ‘He did you wrong, Anna.  He cheated on you.’
       ‘He did.  He betrayed me.’

If you want to join in simply choose an extract of your current work in progress and link it to the date, so for example this being the 27th I've chosen 27 lines or it could be an extract from chapter 27 of your work.  You can share your WIP via the linkie on K. L. Schwengel's blog.  Have fun!

7 comments:

  1. I like the relationship between the two women. You can tell they care enough about each other to be honest but also compassionate. Nice job. What is a corker, btw? Is this a UK term? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana thanks for your comments. A corker means something or someone great or excellent. So you can probably guess that my character's being sarcastic!

      Delete
    2. O funny, I would have guessed something a lot worse!

      Delete
  2. Anna and Melissa do seem to have a good relationship and it's interesting that despite Melissa seemingly telling Anna what 'an idiot' her boyfriend was whilst they were together Anna didn't see it herself - or did she and just didn't want to admit it until he did the dirty on her and cheated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked: ‘I suppose I was refusing to admit what he was really like because I wanted to believe that he was something else.’ There's such truth in that - the grief when a bad relationship ends is more for 'what could have been'. Thanks for sharing - and good luck with getting the first draft down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. As the others said, you can clearly see the relationship between the two women. I wondered what a 'corker' was as well. Yep, I was going worse than that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for all the encouragement. It's so good to hear your thoughts - it spurs me on!

    ReplyDelete