Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Up days, down days

Yesterday I got so much done on my story - I wrote loads.  The words just kept coming.  Today however it was a different story.  I still know (more or less) what I want to say, it's just getting the words in the right order and the right meaning across.  Sometimes I find that so hard to do!

The last couple of sentences I wrote yesterday I've now deleted because they don't seem right.  However, the rest of what I wrote yesterday seems pretty much OK.  So overall I'm pleased I did a lot yesterday, because in a way it means it doesn't matter if I do less today - I can maybe focus on research today, getting the background of my story right.

I'd love to know how other people get on with the ups and downs of writing!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Elaine,

    I totally empathise with you here. Unfortunately writing is so linked with our internal makeup that sometimes we just can't make it happen. And so comes the ienvitable Writer's block. However, I think the best thing is to ride the wave out, try and keep yourself inspired by reading, taking in loads and loads. I read a lot more, go to the theatre and watch tonnes of films. It usually helps. But sadly, it seems, stops and starts are a big part of writing life.

    Hugs,

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your onslaught of words must have felt like the dam had burst. You probably had somewhat of dry spell [writer's block, in other words] in the preceding days. I know because the same thing has happened to me on a few occasions. Right now I'm quickly approaching the finish line, and I can see the light getting brighter at the end of the proverbial tunnel each day. In fact, I can almost see the last period being typed.

    Writing is like the roller coaster of life, it has its ups and downs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one who wrote in fits and starts. It's so frustrating to have a day when the work almost flows faster than you can type, followed by a day when you just stare at a sentence knowing what you want to say, but you just can't get it out.

    I'm going to try using my Dragon Naturally Speaking software to see if it helps. Maybe if I talk it out I can finally get it right.

    ReplyDelete