Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Writing a sex scene!

My novel is gradually coming on.  I got quite a lot done yesterday and part of what I was writing made me wonder how other writers tackle it: namely a sex scene!  I hadn't really written one before, so it was new territory to me.  I was writing about a very brief one night stand and so I didn't want it to seem all romantic, because in this case it certainly wasn't!  At the same time I didn't want it to be corny or cliched.  So.  I showed my husband what I'd written and he read it, said it was good but made some suggestions on how I could improve it, which I will keep in mind.  The scene may need a few rewrites, but I'm keeping it short anyway!  I'm a little bashful about showing what I've written to anyone else, but if I want people to read my novel then I'll have to get used to that.  Anyway, as always any comments/suggestions welcome.  And maybe tell me how you write sex scenes into your stories!

1 comment:

  1. I ended up writing a sex scene completely accidentally. Well... I say sex scene.

    My characters had just got engaged and the male had proposed in a rather romantic way. They were checking into a hotel to avoid going home to a parent who will undoubtedly be disapproving of the engagement. They were just messing and joking around, typical for the couple, and I had the male character carrying the female into the hotel suit.

    This was entirely innocent (the female is very religious and doesn’t believe in sex before marriage) until I thought this could quite easily turn into a full blown sex scene. The idea intrigued me so I carried on writing, thinking that this is fun, but there is no way I would leave it in the story.

    Anyway what comes next involved a gradual build up of passion and tenderness; first kissing and the talk of breath, then tugging of clothes, hair and talk of finger nails and backs. You get the picture. The characters strip each other down to bare flesh but then I have the male put an end to the scene before it can go any further.

    I hope that it shows how close the characters are, and how much they want each other. But also how dedicated and respectful the male is to the female’s beliefs, all be them different to his. This respect of beliefs will be called into question later in the story.

    I decided to keep it in the story because I fell in love with the symbolism and what I think it reveals about the way the couple work, not just as individuals, but also as a united unit. I dread the day I have to kill her off. It’s really going to hurt.

    ReplyDelete